Weather Updates

Boys Basketball: Third-quarter surge lifts Oswego East

Updated: January 19, 2013 12:33AM

Sparked by a full-court trapping defense, Oswego East closed the third quarter with a 9-2 run and seized control of its Southwest Prairie contest against visiting Plainfield South here Friday night.

The Wolves (6-10 overall, 3-3 SPC) won for the third consecutive game, downing the Cougars 54-40. Imposing the trap defense, the Wolves forced turnovers and converted them into layups. Tallying nine points in the final 2:05 of the third frame, Oswego East broke open a 31-31 contest.

Scooter Smith deposited an offensive rebound, Houston McCullum scored from the paint and Mike McAllister followed with a steal and layin before the Cougars (4-12, 2-4) ended the spurt with a layup. But Tyler Ross widened the margin when he took a long pass from McAllister and swished a three-pointer from the corner as time expired for a 40-33 edge heading into the final frame.

“We needed a jump start, unfortunately, because we didn’t come out with the energy we’ve played with the last couple of weeks,” said Oswego East coach Ron Murphy. “We were able to speed them up, Houston takes a huge charge at the one end and we get a drive, kick and good look at a three and knock it down. I don’t think we looked back from there.”

C.J. Vaughn canned a three ball to open the fourth quarter and the Wolves kept the Cougars at arm’s length the rest of the way. Vaughn scored a game-high 19 points including 11 in the first quarter when he connected on three triples.

Ross added another trey in the fourth quarter for a 46-35 lead with 5:35 remaining and finished with 13 points. Kendall Dorsey added ten points and Smith netted eight points while grabbing nine rebounds in the second half.

“I thought collectively as a team we did better than them on the glass,” Smith said. “Looking at the situation, I felt we had to get those rebounds and help run the clock out so we could get out of here with the W.”

Smith collected two offensive rebounds on missed free throw attempts and the Wolves converted each second chance. Playing from behind, the Cougars forced up shots and misfired on 9-of-11 from the field, including 6-of-6 from behind the arc in the fourth quarter.

Meanwhile, the Wolves hit their final three 3-point attempts beginning with Ross’s to end the third quarter. McAllister dribbled to his right and found Ross all alone in the corner with a skip pass.

“When we went in at halftime I knew I had to clear my head and get it together,” said Ross. “When the ball swung out, I just did what I do everyday in practice.”

The Wolves held a 16-11 advantage after the first eight minutes, but the Cougars trimmed the margin to 25-22 at the intermission.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.