Weather Updates

Waubonsie Valley win sets up rematch with Neuqua

The Waubonsie Valley sideline reacts touchdown Oak Park Saturday. | Steve Johnston~For Sun-Times Media

The Waubonsie Valley sideline reacts to a touchdown at Oak Park Saturday. | Steve Johnston~For Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 39485134
tmspicid: 14575183
fileheaderid: 6653468

high school



Head to to see full replays and highlights of these games:

Waubonsie Valley
at Oak Park-River Forest

Oswego at Benet

Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: December 5, 2012 6:47AM

Waubonsie Valley didn’t let the excitement of Friday night’s Neuqua Valley victory influence its Class 8A second-round game at Oak Park-River Forest Saturday.

Leading rusher Austin Guido scored on the game’s second play from scrimmage on a 41-yard TD run and fourth-seeded Waubonsie rolled to a 28-7 win to advance to its first quarterfinal appearance since 1994.

Guido added another touchdown run on a 1-yard carry to end the Warriors’ next possession and finished with 232 yards on a season-high 39 carries.

Most of the Waubonsie team attended the Neuqua game at Bolingbrook the previous night to see the top-seeded Wildcats’ 44-33 win over the defending state champions.

Waubonsie’s victory sets up a quarterfinal matchup against its sister school at Neuqua. Waubonsie’s only defeat of the season came in a 35-34 double-overtime loss to Neuqua Oct. 5 at North Central College.

“Coach (Paul Murphy) said, ‘Do what you have to do and you’ll get your rematch,’” Guido said. “We do now.”

Quarterback Dylan Warden (18 carries, 94 yards) only threw six times in the game and put the Warriors (10-1) ahead 21-0 with a 1-yard TD run with 57 seconds before the half.

That drive was set up by Christian Gibbs’ interception return of 30 yards. Gibbs was forced out of bounds on a horse collar tackle, which led to some shoving on both sides.

Three personal foul penalties were called, two by 12th-seeded OPRF (7-4), which placed the ball at the Huskies’ 10 for Waubonsie. Warden scored in two plays.

“I was proud of our kids. When you get into the second round of the playoffs, there are no bad teams,” Murphy said. “This is a big step for our program. We kept our cool. We knew that it could get emotional.”

The Warriors outrushed OPRF 344-159 in the game. The Huskies’ leading rusher, Jakari Cammon, was limited to 51 yards on 12 carries, but quarterback Lloyd Yates had six carries for 72 yards.

Yates was intercepted three times in the second quarter, twice by Gibbs and once by Jeff Markham.

The Huskies scored their only points in the fourth quarter on Jamal Baggett’s 25-yard TD with 10:15 remaining.

Both teams were penalized a total of six times for infractions on personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct.

The Warriors went 4-for-6 on fourth down plays and punted only one time in the game to open the fourth quarter.

“We had a lot of nice comeback games throughout the year, but you can’t make it something you hang on to,” OPRF coach John Hoerster said. “The kids didn’t quit. They kept on fighting.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.