Weather Updates

Boys Soccer: Waubonsie tops Oswego in regional

Noah Griffith (3) Waubonsie Valley Rodolfo Moreno (5) Oswego pursue ball downpour Naperville Central Regional. | JCunningham~For Sun-Times Media

Noah Griffith (3) of Waubonsie Valley and Rodolfo Moreno (5) of Oswego pursue the ball in a downpour at the Naperville Central Regional. | Jon Cunningham~For Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 38652315
tmspicid: 14225256
fileheaderid: 6515410
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: November 19, 2012 3:31PM

Oswego appeared to be heading into the second half of Wednesday’s Class 3A Naperville regional semifinal within striking distance of Waubonsie Valley.

The Panthers only trailed 1-0, but Waubonsie Valley’s Benjamin Zoet secured a through ball in the waning seconds and sent a shot into the back of the net to increase the lead to 2-0 with only 3 seconds left on the clock before intermission.

Waubonsie Valley carried that last second momentum into the second half in a 3-1 victory. The Warriors will return to Naperville Central on Saturday at 3 p.m. to face the host Redhawks in a regional championship game.

“It’s always big when you move ahead by more than one,” Zoet said. “I just was able to get into the right space at the right time and finish.”

The Warriors jumped to a 1-0 lead with 22:49 left in the first half when junior Casey Bucz’s cross found Frankie Saiz.

Timmy Miller made sure that the Panthers had no chance to battle back, blasting a shot from 24-yards out with 16:32 left in the second half.

Oswego (9-10-1) avoided the shutout with 5:20 left when senior Jeremy Wine scored on a header, but it was a little too late for the Panthers.

Naperville Central shared the ball as much as a team could possibly do, getting goals from seven different players in a 7-0 victory in a Wednesday’s opening Class 3A semifinal game against Geneva.

Senior midfielder Mike West put the Redhawks ahead almost 10 minutes in on a 25-yard shot with 30:34 left, but the hosts were unable to increase the lead until late in the half when David Murphy connected with 8:37 remaining and Devin Ammo-Mensah turned a similar trick with 1:19 left.

“I thought we came out well but just couldn’t put it into the net until the end of the half,” Naperville Central coach Troy Adams said. “Finally it seemed like we got one and then another.”

Naperville Central (18-1-0) didn’t slow in the second half, getting goals from Jordi Heeneman, Sam Reskala, Pat Flynn and J.J. Gustaitis. Murphy finished the contest with a pair of assists.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.