beaconnews
HISTORIC 
Weather Updates

2012 A year in pictures

It's not often Auroris able hire new class firefighters so when this year brought seven new firemen cities staff I

It's not often Aurora is able to hire a new class of firefighters, so when this year brought seven new firemen to the cities staff I asked if I could follow them through the process. On their last day of training they burn down a vacant home as an exercise to see how fire moves through the house. | Brian Powers~Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 42860937
tmspicid: 15867963
fileheaderid: 7129422
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: February 14, 2013 6:35AM

There’s an old saying that photography makes you see the world, rather than look at it.

With that in mind, we invite you to view our little slice of Earth through the diverse images captured by our photographers over the past year.

“Some photos are incredibly beautiful,” Sun-Times Media shooter Brian Powers notes, “while others have a deeper beauty that not everyone sees.”

Thousands of images were snapped in our Fox Valley communities — profiles, parades, protests, playoffs — with only a small portion making it to print or online. But the ones that made the cut were special. And here’s a few favorites to remind you of how much there really is to see in our own backyards. “Every day,” says Powers, “we strive to make interesting photos that keep people’s attention.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.