beaconnews
SPARKLE 
Weather Updates

Naperville man gets life for rape of murder victim’s 2 daughters

Christopher A. Carter 43 who last lived Naperville’s far northwest side was sentenced life imprisonment after being convicted raping two

Christopher A. Carter, 43, who last lived on Naperville’s far northwest side, was sentenced to life imprisonment, after being convicted of raping two young girls who had been placed in his care six years ago, following their mother’s murder near St. Louis. | Courtesy of the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office

storyidforme: 37479922
tmspicid: 12928745
fileheaderid: 5969889

Updated: September 25, 2012 2:26AM



A Naperville man has been sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of raping two grade school-age sisters who were entrusted into his care after their mother had been murdered.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis sentenced Christopher Carter on Monday after he was found guilty Aug. 15 of six Class X felony charges of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and one felony count of criminal sexual assault.

Carter, 43, last lived on the 1600 block of Brookdale Road in Naperville. The rapes occurred inside his apartment.

The children were sent to live with Carter after their mother, Gathyn Allen, was found dead on Nov. 12, 2006, in a vacant lot in Wellston, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. The 38-year-old woman’s body had been set afire.

DuPage County state’s attorney’s spokesman Paul Darrah said the older girl was about 10 when Carter began abusing her.

“In 2007, when the younger sister was approximately 10 years old, Carter began sexually assaulting her as well,” Darrah said.

The children continued to be raped until May 2008, when one of them told a friend about the attacks. Darrah said the friend, in turn, contacted authorities.

“Instead of loving and nurturing them in their most desperate time of need, Mr. Carter used and abused them to satisfy his own nauseating desires,” State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said.

The girls “endured years of abuse before they were even teenagers,” Berlin said.

“Thankfully, as they grew up, they found the courage to turn on their attacker. I commend them both for having the strength to come forward.”

The prosecution’s first attempt to convict Carter ended in a mistrial in October 2010. Darrah said that occurred after Carter’s original defense attorney withdrew from the case.

Carter formerly worked as an engineer.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.