Aurora man gets 35 years for 2009 murder
By Matt Hanley email@example.com September 6, 2012 4:18PM
Victor Aguilar Jr.
Updated: October 10, 2012 6:18AM
An Auroran has begun his 35-year prison sentence for the 2009 murder of a man who was sitting on his front porch.
Last week, Victor Aguilar Jr., 24, of the 600 block of Flagg Street, reported to Menard Correctional Center to begin serving his sentence. According to court records, Aguilar pleaded guilty to the murder of Donald Franklin late last month in Kane County Court.
Aguilar is the third person to plead guilty in the murder of Donald Franklin. The 38-year-old man was shot as he sat on the front porch of his home on Kendall Street on the night of June 24, 2009. Franklin, a father of six, was grilling with family and friends shortly before he was killed. Prosecutors said the murder was the result of a gang initiation.
In July 2010, Christopher Contreras, 17, of Aurora, pleaded guilty to murder and agreed to a 30-year sentence as long as he cooperates with prosecutors. After Contreras agreed to cooperate with prosecutors, Aguilar and Jose Sosa, 22, of the 300 block of Oakwood Avenue, were also charged with murder.
Sosa’s case is still pending. He is scheduled to be in court again on Oct. 24.
Charges are also still pending against Jesus Bucio, 18, of the 1600 block of Gary Avenue, Aurora. He is scheduled to be in court Oct. 3, according to court records.
A fifth man, Azael Ramirez, 28, of the 700 block of Inland Circle, Naperville, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, prosecutors said. Ramirez will receive a six-year prison term if he continues to cooperate, prosecutors said.
Aguilar was previously sentenced to six years in prison for a Will County drug charge and six years for a 2005 Kane County drug case.