Stove sparks Aurora house fire; $80K damage
By Jenette Sturges email@example.com January 3, 2013 9:36AM
The scene of a house fire at 574 E. Galena in Aurora on Thursday, January 3, 2013. | Brian Powers~Sun-Times Media
Updated: January 3, 2013 7:54PM
AURORA — A fire that may have started in a stove caused more than $80,000 in damages to a West Side home and also wrecked the siding on the home next door Thursday morning.
The fire was reported at about 7 a.m. in the home in the 500 block of West Galena Boulevard.
According to Battalion Chief Steve Malatia, the fire in the single-family, wood-frame home started in the stove on the first floor.
“There was probably a problem with the flue, it went up in the wall to the second floor and was trapped in the attic,” Malatia said.
Six engines, two trucks, and three medics were dispatched to the scene.
Residents were home at the time of the fire, but everyone escaped without injury, Malatia said.
Firefighters had a difficult time entering the home because the front door was boarded up and the home’s side door was blocked by items that appeared to be stored in the entryway, he said.
Malatia said there was significant damage to the second floor and attic dormer. Damage was estimated at $80,000. The home next door also sustained about $5,000 in damage to the exterior siding, which was melted by the fire’s heat.
Galena Boulevard was closed as firefighters fought the blaze.