15 injured in chlorine leak at fitness center
BY BILL BIRD firstname.lastname@example.org September 14, 2012 9:56PM
Updated: October 17, 2012 6:42AM
Fifteen people were taken to four area hospitals Friday night after apparently being overcome by chlorine fumes inside a popular health club in the Cantera development near Naperville.
“All of the apparent injuries were non-life-threatening,” said Lt. Jeff Fiene, spokesman for Warrenville Fire Protection District Chief Jerry Kleinwachter.
Firefighters and paramedics from 10 local fire agencies responded to the incident. It occurred just before 6 p.m. at Lifetime Fitness, 28141 Diehl Road, in the Cantera office and business development just across the border from Naperville in Warrenville.
The affected patrons and employees reported suffering headaches and dizziness. Fiene said they were taken to Edward Hospital in Naperville, Provena Mercy Medical Center in Aurora, Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield and Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove.
Fiene said he did not know the source of the apparent chlorine leak. The club has an indoor swimming pool.
Fiene added the center closed for the evening following the incident.