beaconnews
SUITABLE 
Weather Updates

Repairman sues Batavia restaurant

Updated: October 17, 2012 6:34AM



An Oak Forest man claims he was burned when a Batavia restaurant employee turned on a stove while he was working over it.

According to a lawsuit filed in Kane County, Matthew Rapp was repairing sprinklers above a stove in the kitchen at the East China Inn on South Randall Road on Oct. 12, 2010.

An employee turned on the stove while Rapp was nearby and some grease from the wok splashed onto Rapp’s pants, starting them on fire, the suit says.

Rapp’s attorney, Matthew Willens, said Rapp severely burned his left leg and missed five months of work.

The suit says the restaurant was negligent because it “failed to exercise caution while using its stove to assure that the plaintiff would not be set on fire.”



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.