From the Aurora police files ...
September 1, 2012 9:58PM
Updated: October 3, 2012 6:23AM
Reports obtained by The Beacon-News from the Aurora Police
Department reveal some insight into West Aurora band director Steve Orland. Most names have been blanked out in the report.
▪ Interviewing one of Orland’s fellow teachers, the investigating detective asked “if she ever witnessed Steve Orland with a student of his in a way that would make her feel uncomfortable.”
“[Blank] stated that in front of everyone, Steve Orland would always hug his female students with a ‘full on’ body hug and kiss them on the forehead,” the report says.
▪ One student told the investigator that she thought Orland was “an excellent teacher/band instructor, but she was uncomfortable with his demeanor towards the female students.”
▪ “I asked [blank] what she meant and she stated that she thought it was ‘creepy’ that he hugged the female students and kissed them on the forehead,” the officer wrote. “[Blank] stated that Orland sat down next to her one time last year during 7th period jazz band/lunch hour and put his arm around her waist. [Blank] also recalled that Orland told her several times during 7th period that he thought she was pretty.”
▪ A person that the police report describes as a victim handed over two post-it notes to authorities written by Orland.
“On one of the notes, it read, ‘Thinking of you, wishing for more time together, I love you.’ The other post it note read, “I really need to be with you today! I love you so much!” the investigator wrote.
▪ A long-time friend of Orland described Orland’s reaction to a student moving away to Mexico.
“As Orland spoke of this, he got visably upset and started to cry…[Blank] thought it was so weird that he would get so upset about a student moving.”
▪ Orland’s first wife told police “she had concerns…that Orland was too affectionate with his students.”
“She stated she had warned him about all the hugging and affection he directed toward the students. She advised she warned Orland to stop it, that it would be the down fall of his career but he ‘just laughed it off.’ ”