The Aurora Beacon is first published in 1846. In 1905 Col. Ira C. Copley bought the Aurora Beacon, merging it with the Aurora News and three other newspapers into the Daily Beacon-News, which first appeared on January 2, 1912.
What later became Copley Press sold its Fox Valley Press Inc. division to Hollinger International in 2000, including the Beacon News in Aurora, Courier News in Elgin, the Herald-News in Joliet and the News Sun in Waukegan. Hollinger also bought Fox Valley Press' Sun Publications in Naperville, a group of 13 weekly papers.
Those newspapers are now owned by Sun-Times Media Holdings, LLC.