beaconnews
SPARKLEĀ 
Weather Updates

Fire damages St. Charles apartment

Updated: March 7, 2014 1:29PM



No one was injured Tuesday after a fire broke out inside a St. Charles apartment.

The St. Charles Fire Department was called to the 900 block of Jackson Street around 4:07 p.m. after a resident reported that a garage, which was converted into a single-unit apartment, had caught fire.

One resident was inside the apartment at the time of the fire. She was able to escape and call 911.

Fire Chief Joe Schelstreet said that upon their arrival, crews found the exterior of the garage engulfed in heavy flames. It took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters were on the scene for an hour and a half conducting an investigation and completing an overhaul on the structure, Schelstreet said.

The cause of the fire appears to have been unattended open burning in the kitchen, Schelstreet said.

The loss is estimated to be $30,000 in damages to the structure and a nearby vehicle.

Batavia and Geneva firefighters assisted St. Charles on the call. The Elburn Fire Department provided coverage for St. Charles while St. Charles firefighters were on the scene.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.