Trial pushed back for sex assault suspect
By Dan Campana For Sun-Times Media October 31, 2013 1:26PM
Updated: December 2, 2013 12:40PM
ST. CHARLES — Kane County prosecutors have asked to reschedule the upcoming trial of Corderro Pollard because of witness issues.
During a brief hearing, Assistant State’s Attorney Pam Monaco and Pollard’s attorney Michael Fleming agreed to vacate the originally planned Nov. 4 trial.
“I’m missing a substantial portion of my witnesses,” Monaco told Judge John Barsanti.
Pollard and co-defendant Eric Stallworth are each free on bond. They are charged in the 2012 sex assault of a woman in a home near the Aurora University campus. Authorities have said the woman had been drinking and was unable to consent to the sex. Both men have pleaded not guilty.
Shammrie Brown originally faced a sex assault charge on allegations he failed to intervene on the woman’s behalf, but that case was dismissed. He is now charged with misdemeanor battery and is listed as a prosecution witness.
Wednesday’s hearing had initially been set for arguments on a motion by Monaco to have Stallworth and Pollard tried together. She provided a six-page document to Fleming and Stallworth’s attorney, Kathleen Colton, to support her call for holding one trial. Colton generally said she opposes a joint trial for the two men, but she, as did Fleming, asked for time to look over Monaco’s explanation for seeking the move.
Barsanti scheduled a Nov. 21 hearing on the joint trial request. Stallworth is also awaiting a hearing on his motion to suppress statements he made to police.