Warrant: Bomb threat suspect used own phone to make calls
By Dan Campana For Sun-Times Media October 9, 2013 4:08PM
Emergency vehicles sit outside the Kane County Courthouse Wednesday morning after the facility was cleared out due to a bomb threat. | Dan Campana~For Sun-Times Media
Updated: November 11, 2013 12:23PM
The Carpentersville man accused of making threats that cleared out Kane County judicial facilities in September used his own cell phone to do so, the same phone he called 911 with in August, according to a search warrant.
Akiel Davis, 21, is charged with multiple counts of felony disorderly conduct in connection to the Sept. 4 threats. He remains held in Kane County Jail on a combined bail of $325,750 covering several pending cases. He is scheduled to return to court Oct. 16.
In a search warrant affidavit to obtain Davis’ phone records, authorities included previously undisclosed details about how they were able to track down Davis.
Police have said Davis called the Kane County Circuit Clerk’s Office just before 9:30 a.m. and, during the 155-second call, said, “Everyone in Kane County is going to die today.” A short time later, he dialed 911, which directed him to the QuadCom Center in Carpentersville, and told the operator during a 13-second call, “Yes, there’s four bombs in the Kane County Court House,” according to the affidavit.
Both calls were made from a number linked to a Kyocera phone used by Davis, the affidavit states. Investigators tracked the calls to the Carpentersville area and the phone to a home there, where a woman identified as Davis’ girlfriend said she had not seen him the morning of the threats. However, a child at the home did say Davis had been there that day, the affidavit states.
Authorities said the phone number was used from that residence to call 911 on Aug. 4 when Davis reported his girlfriend was having a medical emergency. The voice on that call, described as having an accent, matched the voice in the threat calls, according to the affidavit. Investigators tried to catch Davis, a native of the British Virgin Islands, during a scheduled meeting with his probation officer on Sept. 6, but he failed to show up.
Local authorities were assisted by U.S. marshals, who were able to track Davis’ phone to the Carpentersville-Elgin area based on short instances when the phone had been turned on. U.S. marshals arrested Davis on Sept. 19 and found his phone.
“Davis said the phone is his and would like it taken to jail with him,” the officer wrote in the affidavit.
After taking Davis into custody, police dialed the number used in the threat calls and Davis’ phone rang, according to the affidavit.
Court records show Davis is currently on probation in connection to a 2012 aggravated battery conviction for striking a man in the head with a bottle during an incident in Elgin. He originally was charged with home invasion in the case. Prosecutors have twice filed probation violations against him, the second time coming after his arrest in March on burglary and theft charges. He is accused of stealing two lawn mower racks from a rural St. Charles garage.
Davis was supposed to appear in court on both cases on July 19 but did not appear, according to court records. He was ordered to appear on Sept. 4, the day of the threats, before Judge Susan Clancy Boles with “written proof of hospitalization” on that court date. Records show he failed to appear on Sept. 4 and that a warrant was issued for him. He has also been charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle in August in Elgin, records show.