Investigation continues into Kane courthouse threats
By Dan Campana For Sun-Times Media September 11, 2013 3:15PM
Updated: October 15, 2013 6:28AM
As sheriff’s investigators continue their look into last week’s threats to three Kane County judicial facilities, Kane County State’s Attorney Joe McMahon said such attempts to disrupt and frustrate the system simply fail.
“It doesn’t work,” McMahon said, adding the inconvenience hits average citizens more. “You’re really interfering with your neighbors’ life.”
McMahon’s comments came a week after county officials evacuated the Judicial Center and Kane Branch Court in St. Charles, as well as the Elgin Branch Court, in response to a voice mail message stating “a lot of people” would die in Kane County. A second call stated four bombs had been placed in a courthouse, officials said.
The calls on Sept. 4 shut down the three facilities, as well as the Kane County Circuit Clerk’s office that is housed in the same building as the Kane Branch Court, for essentially the entire morning. Searches at all county court buildings turned up nothing to substantiate the threats and court business resumed that afternoon.
Sheriff’s Lt. Pat Gengler said the investigation continues into the incidents with no timeline for when it might be completed. McMahon echoed Gengler’s comment by saying no charges have been filed in the case.