Weather Updates

No charges yet in stabbing death

Friends constructed memorial Wednesday front home 31-year-old Lamar House who was found  by police early Tuesday morning unconscious suffering

Friends constructed a memorial Wednesday in front of the home of 31-year-old Lamar House, who was found by police early Tuesday morning unconscious and suffering from an apparent stab wound. House was pronounced dead about an hour later at an Aurora hospital. | Jenette Sturges~Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 54546237
tmspicid: 20034143
fileheaderid: 9204858

Updated: October 7, 2013 12:51PM

No charges were filed Wednesday against a 19-year-old women who was being questioned in connection with the stabbing death of an Aurora man.

Lamar House, 31, 0-99 block of Ohio Street, was found at 3:45 a.m. Tuesday in the bedroom of his home. He was unconscious and not breathing, having suffered from an apparent stab wound to his chest. House died about an hour later at an area hospital.

Police would not comment on the relationship between House and the woman, and said that a bomb threat, which evacuated the Kane County Judicial Center Wednesday afternoon, delayed any possible charges being filed. No new information was expected to be released until Thursday

Family and friends of the 31-year-old victim gathered Wednesday afternoon at a makeshift memorial outside the Aurora home where House’s life was taken.

House’s death marks the third murder of the year in Aurora.

The city’s last homicide happened on April 23, when Joliet resident Quiane Smith was shot to death outside a home in the 1000 block of Spruce Street.

Smith, 26, was pronounced dead on the scene after police arrived around 9 p.m. They found Smith lying in the yard of a home with a gunshot to his head.

Since then, Smith’s mother, Sara Jackson, has made it her mission to find her son’s killers. She has traveled to Aurora several times to canvass the neighborhood for information about the deadly shooting. No one has been charged with the crime.

In 2012, Aurora went the entire year without a murder. On Jan. 31, Aurora’s murder-free streak came to an end when an 18-year-old woman was found beaten and burned beyond recognition at a Montgomery park.

Police charged three men with their participation in the murder of Abigail Villalpando, who police said was beaten to death with a hammer in an Aurora home before her body was lit on fire.

Juan Garnica Jr., 18, of the 400 block of East Ashland Avenue, was charged with two counts of first degree murder, and one count of arson.

Enrique Prado, 19, of the 400 block of Jefferson Street, Aurora, was charged with arson and concealment of a homicide, and Jose Becerra, 20, of the 0-99 block of Seaton Creek Drive, Oswego, was charged with one count of concealment of a homicide, according to Aurora police.

A Kane County Sheriff’s Department K-9 unit found Villalpando’s body in a wooded area near Fifth Street and Waubansia Avenue, in Montgomery.

Her car was found the previous day, engulfed in flames, hours after Villalpando’s family reported her missing. During the investigation into her disappearance, detectives learned that Villalpando went to visit Garnica and Prado, both of whom she knew, at Prado’s home, just a couple blocks from where her car was found.

Police said during that visit, Garnica allegedly struck the woman with a hammer in the head. He and Prado then embarked on a mission to conceal the crime, police said.

Each man has pleaded not guilty to their part in the crime.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.