Weather Updates

Cops sought Auroran in ’93 murder probe

Mug Michael J. Reyes akLefty born 11/16/72.

Mug of Michael J. Reyes, aka Lefty, born 11/16/72.

storyidforme: 43752177
tmspicid: 16143601
fileheaderid: 7264252

Updated: March 2, 2013 6:25AM

ST. CHARLES TOWNSHIP — Michael J. Reyes was one of the first people police sought to question in the early days of the investigation into the 1993 murders of brothers Francisco and Jesus Montoya in Aurora.

Twenty years later, Reyes, now 40, is on trial in the shooting deaths of the brothers, leaving their bodies in the family’s white conversion van on Spencer Street on Aurora’s East Side.

The Montoyas, defense attorneys said Tuesday, had been dealing “a large amount of drugs” received from family in Houston, Texas, just before the they were shot to death in March 1993.

Testimony Tuesday focused on the brothers, 20-year-old Jesus and 18-year-old Francisco.

Francisco’s then-girlfriend, Angela Raices, was two months pregnant when she found out the baby’s father had been killed. The night before the murder, she had been in that van with Francisco when they went out for dinner, she testified.

Police used information gleaned from one of the victims’ pagers to track down phone numbers — including Reyes’, said Michael Dabney, a now retired Aurora Police Department evidence technician.

In March 1993, he said, as many as six officers went to Reyes’ last known address to interview him.

“You don’t know how violently, if at all, they will react,” Dabney said.

However, Reyes wasn’t found immediately, he said. No warrant was issued for Reyes at that time, Dabney said.

Autopsy photos of the two young men were shown to the jury during the testimony of Dr. Joseph Sapala, a medical examiner with Kane County.

Francisco — known to his friends and family as Frank — died from two gunshot wounds. One hit him in the top of the skull, Sapala said. The other gunshot went through Francisco’s right hand — a defensive wound — and into his right cheek. Gunpowder stippling was visible even after the blood had been washed away, Sapala said.

Jesus was killed by “multiple gunshot wounds,” Sapala said, including one shot through the right of his chin, and a second wound through the top of the skull. Neither of those two shots had exit wounds — bullet fragments were recovered, he said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.