beaconnews
IMPERFECT 
Weather Updates

12/12/12 especially golden for Naperville girl

Naperville residents Audrey Bridget Cahill. Audrey turns 12 Dec. 12 2012.  |  Submitted

Naperville residents Audrey and Bridget Cahill. Audrey turns 12 on Dec. 12, 2012. | Submitted

storyidforme: 41428675
tmspicid: 15305779
fileheaderid: 6949048
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: January 13, 2013 6:11AM

12/12/12 — it’s the last of the lucky numbers for this century. While some of us are finding simple ways to observe the day (bringing three-dozen doughnuts to work or pausing at 12:12), for at least one Naperville sixth-grader, it’s an especially sweet day.

Audrey Cahill turns 12 today, making 12/12/12 her super-golden birthday. She plans to celebrate, even though it’s a school night.

“I’m going laser tagging with friends and family. And then we’re going to my favorite restaurant,” she says.

Her mom, Bridget, didn’t notice the significance of the date of her daughter’s birth until later.

“I just thought it was cool that we’ll always know how old she is with each birthday because it was 2000. So in 2001 she’d be one, two in 2002 and so on.”

Golden birthdays always have been memorable in Bridget’s family, so she’s been planning to make the day stand out for each of her three daughters. With Audrey being the first to hit that golden number, it’s yet to be known what that will look like.

“It’s a secret. But we’re going to make it extra special,” Bridget says.

When asked what she likes best about turning 12, Audrey says it plainly, “Being older than people who are 11.”

Before 12/12/12, area residents celebrated other “magical” dates. There was the woman who turned 50 on 11/11/11. The couples who celebrated 25th anniversaries on 06/06/06. Or even the observance of serial date events, such as the Naperville girl who enjoyed turning 8 on 9/10/11. The years since Y2K have been full of fun number dates.

One Yorkville couple decided for practical reasons to make 7/7/07 their wedding date.

“It was because I don’t remember dates easily and so I figured I wouldn’t forget 7/7/07,” Kim Sullivan says.

While the 7/7/07 lucky number series falling on a Saturday could have attracted a lot of couples, Kim and her husband, Chuck, didn’t have any problem booking their wedding arrangements for that date. Still they did get a few reactions from friends and family about it.

“People commented that, ‘Oh, it’s a lucky number,’ or ‘It’s the 777 in the Bible,’” Kim explains. The couple stuck by their simple rationale for the date. And so far it’s worked. They both remember their anniversary without fail.

They did capitalize on the significance of seven in their wedding date in one respect, though.

“For our anniversary, we take turns planning what we’ll do every other year,” Kim says. “We decided that every seventh year, we’ll go away somewhere together. So the 7th, the 14th, the 21st.”

“It’s so you never get hung up on that seven-year itch,” Chuck explains. “Instead of that we’ll make it a special year.”

That’s pretty lucky for them. As for how they’ll mark 12/12/12?

Chuck answers, “We’ve got to go to the doctor with the baby.”

Which sounds like what many of the rest of us will be doing on the final triple-date this century: the ordinary stuff of life.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.