Weather Updates

Man gets 38 years in Aurora drug robbery that ended in murder

Jorge Diaz has been sentenced 38 years prisfor 2008 drug deal murder Aurora.

Jorge Diaz has been sentenced to 38 years in prison for a 2008 drug deal murder in Aurora.

storyidforme: 39779902
tmspicid: 14687286
fileheaderid: 6701962

Updated: November 8, 2012 6:59PM

A Melrose Park man has been sentenced to 38 years in prison for his role in a botched Aurora drug deal that ended up with his partner dead.

On Thursday, Jorge Diaz, 24, of the 1900 block of West Division Street, pleaded guilty to murder.

According to prosecutors, at 6 p.m. Oct. 1, 2008, Diaz and 28-year-old Chicago resident Hector Valtierrez showed up at a home in the 600 block of North Root Street to buy five kilograms of cocaine. Juan Herrera, 32, of Prescott, Wis., was at the Root Street home to sell the cocaine — and eight children were playing on the second floor of the home at the time.

Diaz and Valtierrez brought a gun and attempted to rob the drug sellers. Shots were fired and Herrera was hit twice with bullets from Valtierrez’s gun and Valtierrez was shot by Herrera, prosecutors said. Valtierrez died at the scene.

Good samaritans took Herrera to Provena Mercy Medical Center, where he eventually recovered from his wounds. He was convicted of murder and sentenced to 46 years in prison.

Diaz was charged with murder because he was participating in a felony at the time someone was murdered.

“Whenever guns and drugs are involved, the inevitable outcome will be prison or death. In this case, it was both,” said Kane County State’s Attorney Joe McMahon.

Prosecutors said Diaz will have to serve 100 percent of his sentence, although he received credit for 1,486 days he served in the Kane County jail since he was arrested. He was being held on $3 million bail.

When officers from Aurora and Melrose Park arrested Diaz, he had luggage with him and was en route to board a bus leaving for Mexico.

Hector Valtierrez’s wife, Maria Valtierrez, also was charged with drug offenses for helping set up the deal. Her charges are still pending. Police said at first Maria Valtierrez gave officers a false name for her husband because he was wanted for deportation.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.