beaconnews
ANNOYING 
Weather Updates

Candle sparked $800,000 house fire

Denise Crosby

Denise Crosby

storyidforme: 38749775
tmspicid: 14257208
fileheaderid: 6266085
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: November 22, 2012 6:37AM



An unattended candle is being blamed for a house fire last month in Campton Hills.

The Sept. 10 fire at 3N195 Spring Wood Lane caused an estimated $800,000 in damage, said Craig Hanson, assistant fire chief of the Elburn & Countryside Fire Protection District.

Hanson said a third party investigator determined the cause to be a burning candle located too closely to drapery in a three-season porch.

“While the homeowners discovered the fire, it was beyond the ability for them to do anything but evacuate,” Hanson said.

Homeowners Bob and Debbie Notaro evacuated the home, but then had to watch as firemen from 17 departments battled the blaze to the newly remodeled house. They were able to get the family dog out with them and save an SUV parked in the garage.

They were in their master bedroom when they saw smoke coming from the ground level in the back of the home. Bob Notaro, who suffered burns to his forehead and back, said he called 911 and ran to the back of the home to try and extinguish the fire with a garden hose.

The two-story home was in a wooded area at the end of a dead-end lane. Hanson said there are additional challenges and resources necessary to suppress fires in such areas where there are no fire hydrants.

Fire crews had to haul in water to the scene, and fire tankers had a hard time turning out of the dead-end lane to refill their tankers. The fire caused $600,000 damage to the home and $200,000 to the contents.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.