FBI searching for leads in robbery
By Matt Hanley email@example.com September 25, 2012 12:24PM
Old Second Bank on Redwood and Plum on Aurora's westside was robbed Monday, September 24, 2010. | Steven Buyansky~Sun-Times Media
Updated: October 27, 2012 6:14AM
AURORA — The FBI is seeking information on a man who robbed an Aurora bank shortly after it opened Monday.
According to FBI spokesman Ross Rice, just after 9 a.m. Monday, a man walked into the Old Second Bank, 555 Redwood Drive, and handed the teller a note demanding money. The man never showed a weapon, and no one was injured in the robbery, Rice said. Rice would not say how much money was taken.
The suspect was last seen running east away from the bank.
There was no surveillance footage yet available Tuesday, but Rice described the robber as a black male, between 6-foot and 6-foot-4 with a medium build. He is about 25 to 30 years old, Rice said. He was wearing a black hat, black coat and had a tattoo on his neck.
Rice said officials do not have any reason to believe the suspect was involved in other bank robberies.
“That’s something we’re looking at with every robbery, but at this point, there’s no connection,” Rice said.
Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to contact the Chicago Office of the FBI at 312-421-6700, or local law enforcement.
The last local bank robbery was in July at a PNC bank in Aurora. An Aurora man was arrested and is facing federal charges in that robbery.
There have been 141 bank robberies in the Chicago area this year, up from 115 last year, according to BanditTrackerChicago.com, which is run by the FBI.