Bellwood man gets eight years in Aurora shooting
By Matt Hanley firstname.lastname@example.org September 6, 2012 4:24PM
Updated: October 10, 2012 6:18AM
A 46-year-old Bellwood man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for an Aurora shooting that injured one man.
Ismael Sanchez pleaded guilty to aggravated battery with a firearm in Kane County Court last week, according to court records. He received credit for 917 days he had already spent in jail. Attempted murder charges were dropped in exchange for the guilty plea.
Sanchez was one of three people charged in a 2010 shooting in the 700 block of East New York Street in Aurora. A 23-year-old Aurora was shot in the torso in what police said was not a gang-related incident. An officer stopped the suspects’ vehicle and weapons were found, police said. The victim was treated for a non-life-threatening wound and was in good condition a few days after the shooting.
In May, Fernando Gonzalez, 27, of Elgin, was sentenced to 10 years in prison when he pleaded guilty to aggravated battery with a firearm in the same shooting. As with Ismael Sanchez, attempted murder charges were dropped in exchange for Gonzalez’s guilty plea.
A third man, Erik Sanchez, 30, of Elmhurst, is still facing attempted murder charges. According to Kane County Court records, he made a brief appearance in court Thursday and is scheduled to return to court on Sept. 20.