Report: Cubs, Castro agree to seven-year, $60 million extension
BY GORDON WITTENMYER firstname.lastname@example.org August 18, 2012 2:56PM
Starlin Castro of the Cubs rounds the bases after hitting a home run in the first inning at Wrigley Field Wednesday, August 1, 2012, in Chicago. | John J. Kim~Sun-Times
Updated: August 18, 2012 4:01PM
CINCINNATI — According to a report by
Saturday, the Cubs and shortstop Starlin Castro have agreed to a seven-year, $60 million contract extension that would buy out three years of free agency.
Team president Theo Epstein, who acknowledged Friday the club’s attempts to sign the two-time All-Star to a long-term deal, did not immediately respond to Saturday’s report.
Castro’s agent, Paul Kinzer, said the report was premature and talks were ``ongoing’’ but declined to elaborate on how close to an agreement the sides were.
But one source said a deal appeared close and only final details, including the usual player physical before such deals are completed, remained to be worked out. And multiple sources confirmed the parameters reported by ESPNDeportes, including a club option for 2020.
Castro, who led the National League in hits last year, doesn’t turn 30 until a few days before that season starts.